The Day Camp Counselor serves as a professional role model for our campers by leading through example and guiding campers through recreational activities that teach life skills, encourage healthy and safe behaviors and create a positive camper experience. The Day Camp Counselor ensures that each youth has adequate supervision including ensuring that no youth is unsupervised at any time.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Promotes the YMCA and provides outstanding customer service by creating an outstanding camper experience for children, parents and families.
- Leads recreational activities with campers, including but not limited to, arts and crafts, sports, social recreation, songfests, nature hikes, archery, and other games and hobbies. Instructs campers using various teaching methods and modifies activities as needed to ensure that campers of all ages and experience levels are engaged.
- Teaches socially acceptable behaviors to campers by serving as a role model and by using age-appropriate positive reinforcement and behavior management strategies.
- Communicates consistently with supervisor, team leader, unit leader and other team members to ensure everyone is kept abreast of camp activities and schedule.
- Supports camp activities as assigned by supervisor, including any specialty camp activities.
- Ensures the physical and emotional health and safety of campers by being safety conscious, following all established YMCA standards and critically evaluating situations for potential risks.
- Ensures compliance with established rules and regulations to ensure safety. Monitors campers and counselors and provides corrective coaching and intervention as necessary.
- Sets up facilities and/or equipment for activities and stores equipment appropriately after use. Immediately notifies Program Director of any broken or unsafe equipment or if more resources/equipment are needed.
- Works to keep camp facilities clean at all times.