The Naperville Woman’s Club was founded as a literary club in 1897 by nineteen women whose goal was to help members assume a role outside of their homes and churches, a bold undertaking in the 19th century. These charter members initiated programs for intense study, but philanthropic projects quickly followed. In 1903, the literary club became the Naperville Woman’s Club. NWC is a member of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, an international organization founded in 1890.
The Woman’s Club focuses its philanthropic activities on Art, Education and Community Service. The annual Fine Art & Artisan Fair is the longest continuously operating art fair in Illinois. An annual art contest recognizes the talents of area high school students. Several scholarships are granted each year. Fundraisers and collection events support the club’s donation initiatives to local organizations that provide services and programs in the three focus areas. Club members also participate in local service projects that benefit the community.